A year ago today…

…set things into motion that would change our lives.

Robert was at Pinehurst, Colby was with his daddy and I was heading to bed. My phone rang and I saw that it was my papa. He never called that late so the hair on the back of my neck stood up. He asked me to come down there that something wasn’t right, he was very independent and I was worried.

I went down there and when I walked in, he was sitting in his recliner and looked fine. He said he didn’t know what was wrong, but that he just felt scared and asked me to stay with him. I did a little assessment on him and he really seemed ok. He had had some issues with his prostate a couple of weeks before and had to have a catheter in and I was thinking he was getting a urinary tract infection. When elderly people do that it can really mess them up.

He asked me to stay and I said sure, I laid down in the other recliner across from him until about three o’clock. He dozed and I pretty much slept with one eye open. At three though, he said he felt better and told me to go on back home so I could rest better, but wanted me to check on him first thing in the morning.

June 14th
At 7 am my phone rang again. He was hungry and wanting a gravy biscuit so I went to Hardee’s and took it to him. He looked the same and ate pretty good. When I started to leave though he wanted me to call someone to come stay with him because he didn’t want to be alone, he still felt scared. I knew something was up so I told him I would stay. I helped him wash up and then we just sat there talking a bit.

Around lunch time my daddy and mama came down there to see what was going on. I was thinking by this time that papa may need to go to an assisted living facility or something for a short while until he got better with his prostate stuff and get over his, what I thought was, UTI. He was napping and while he was I was making phone calls to see what resources I could find to help him best.

After a couple hours of him napping I told my parents I was going to wake him up because I didn’t want him to be up all night again like the night before. When I went to wake him up he was very disoriented and his speech was garbled. He couldn’t hardly sit up. Me being an ex-neuro nurse, I knew how to check for symptoms of a stroke. Sure enough, he had left sided weakness. We called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital.

Part two to come later, but I often wonder about if we had not been there he would have died in his sleep and I sometimes wonder, if I’m being honest, if that would not have been better than what he went through the last three months of his life and the changes we had to see in him as well. That was one of the hardest things I have ever been through in my life.

To be continued….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s